Composite Materials Manufacturing Specialist
- Follow prescribed methods and procedures to cut, shape, bond, lay-up, cure, trim and assemble a wide variety of composite materials and components.
- Prepare molds, dies, templates, etc., for fabrication process.
- Cut to shape and lay-up a variety ofcarbon fiber and fiberglassmaterials.
- Select and utilize required templates, hand or machine tools and equipment to trim, bond, repair and/or rework composite materials and components.
- Perform a variety of operations to drill, ream, countersink, bolt, rivet, etc., as required to fit, align and assemble details and/or components to form desired structure.
- Bring assemblies to proper weight and distribution by placement of additional plies or insertion of weights as necessary.
- Check work to assure quality standards are maintained.
- Perform other related or similar type duties as required, including moving parts and materials around area.
- Refer all unusual situations or recurring problems to working leader or supervisor.
- As required segregate waste material and follow good housekeeping practices to maintain cleanliness of assigned areas and comply with all EH&S procedures.
- Basic Qualifications:
- Work from ordinary drawings and sketches and use variable measuring instruments such as micrometers
- Knowledge of smaller components and structural parts
- Knowledge of 5-Axis CNC machining
- Machine shop and shop floor practices
- Requires knowledge of arithmetic involving decimals and fractions and its application to the reading of drawings and the use of variable measuring instruments.
- Requires knowledge of composite manufacturing methods and procedures.
- Experienced in the lay-up, bond, trim, and repair and/or reconstruction of composite components according to specification.
- Judgment and care required fabricating components according to quality requirements.
- Check own work and work of assigned helpers to insure conformance to established quality standards.
- Experience with 3D printing is a plus
- Lay-up, trim and work with diversified composite materials, components, and cumbersome mold structures, which may require working in awkward positions. Overall moderate effort.
Mental & Visual Demand:
- Continuous mental and visual attention required to perform diversified duties to lay-up laminates, assemble detail parts on molds, to bond, trim, and repair components, and to use proper hand and/or power tools and other equipment.